Sunday 13 March 2016

Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell - World Book day £1 book review




By: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: Macmillan


‘Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.’
‘Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?’
‘Maybe.’

If you broke Elena’s heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she’s expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han, Luke and Leia just as much as she does.



What she’s not expecting is to be last in a line of only three people; to have to pee into a collectible Star Wars soda cup behind a dumpster or to meet that unlikely someone who just might truly understand the way she feels. (Publisher's Blurb)




I'm a huge advocate of the World Book Day initiative. Schools across the country give out millions of vouchers that enable children to receive a free book or £1 off a book of their choice. It isn't often that I'm tempted to purchase a World Book Day Book as I can usually devour them in about an hour. Since this one was written by Rainbow Rowell, I couldn't resist.


I'm pretty new to the Rainbow Rowell fandom but she's now my favourite contemporary author (and Fangirl is my favourite contemporary book).


Kindred Spirits is a super sweet short story about two teens who connect over their love of Star Wars. I can't think of a more appealing book prospect than Rainbow Rowell plus Star Wars!


Even though the book is short, the characters felt well developed and the plot was really entertaining. Rainbow Rowell has this super power of making you really root for her characters, even the minor ones. For me, this is mostly because of the killer dialogue and the thought put into characters' back stories.


This book could not be more of a bargain and for only a pound there's no excuse to miss it!


My only criticism? I wish it had been a full length book as I wasn't ready to let these characters go.






If you liked the sound of this, now try:


-Everything by Rainbow Rowell. Immediately.







2 comments:

  1. Great review. I picked this up on WBD too and can't wait to read it soon.

    -Shannon @ Adventures Of A Teenage Bookworm
    http://bit.ly/1TTdxrh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this one too :) I still haven't read it yet - I'm a bit hit/miss with this author and don't want to be disappointed.
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete