Sunday 2 July 2017

Release by Patrick Ness - review

Publisher: Walker Books

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an open and honest review.

The most personal and tender novel yet from Patrick Ness, the twice Carnegie Medal-winning author of A Monster Calls. It's Saturday, it's summer and, although he doesn't know it yet, everything in Adam Thorn's life is going to fall apart. But maybe, just maybe, he'll find freedom from the release. Time is running out though, because way across town, a ghost has risen from the lake... This uplifting coming-of-age novel will remind you what it's like to fall in love. (Publishers' blurb)


It's taken me a while to put this review into words, because I feel so strongly about Release. This book wasn't always easy to read, as it deals with difficult subjects and powerful emotions. It is thought-provoking, compelling and so full of feelings that it's impossible not to be drawn in.

This was my favourite thing about Release. Patrick Ness has made it clear that the book isn't autobiographical, but it is very personal. What really struck me was how raw and honest it felt, that Adam's emotions were so convincing and accessible to the reader. Although the story takes place over a short time frame, my connection with Adam was immediate and his character developed over the course of the book. 

Patrick Ness has this amazing authenticity about his writing, which makes his characters feel real and relatable. He captures the intensity I remember about being a teenager, and the sense that your decisions and actions can change everything.

The structure of the book was excellent, which I can't go into too much because of spoilers. I loved how it took me time to work out what w
as happening with the dual narrative.

The literary references also added another level. I now have a desperate need to read Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and reread Forever by Judy Blume, as these books lent inspiration to Release. I really like the fact that I can read them and then go back to Release with something fresh to look for.

This book really matters to me and I know it's one I'll reread. 








If you liked the sound of this, you have to read The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment