Wednesday 16 August 2017

Wing Jones by Katherine Webber - review



Publisher: Walker Books (5th January 2017)

With a grandmother from China and another from Ghana, fifteen-year-old Wing Jones is often caught between worlds. But when tragedy strikes, Wing discovers a talent for running she never knew she had. Wing's speed could bring her family everything it needs. It could also stop Wing getting the one thing she wants. (Publishers' blurb)

This is a book that I probably don't have to tell you to read - the chances are you already have based on the love I've seen for Wing Jones online. If, like me, you're a little late to get around to it, I recommend that you make it a priority! This is a beautifully written, uplifting book with amazing characters. 

Wing herself was my favourite part of this book. She had so many layers and her responses to the events of the book were believable and relateable. I liked watching her grow as a character and that she didn't always have the answers.

Katherine Webber's descriptions of the 1995 deep south setting evoked strong feelings of the time and place. These created an effective backdrop for Wing's conviction that she is between two worlds and her journey towards finding her place. 

The voice of this book was very convincing, capturing Wing's emotions amidst vivid, sensory descriptions and whimsical touches that I really enjoyed.

This has been a great year for books and Wing Jones has been one of my favourites so far.







If you liked the sound of this, try Truth or Dare by Non Pratt, which I reviewed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment