Wednesday 13 December 2017

Books of the Year - Katherine Webber

Katherine Webber, author of the gorgeous and moving Wing Jones, has shared her favourite books of the year on the blog today.


Impossible to choose just one book of the year but I have to shout about The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. THUG is heartbreaking, enraging, surprisingly tender, and unexpectedly hilarious. Starr is one of the best main characters I’ve ever read. The book is incredibly important and timely—but that isn’t what makes it so special. It’s Starr’s voice, the wonderful cast of characters, and Angie’s brilliant writing.

Another one is Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo. Not only is this book gorgeously written, it comes in a beautifully illustrated hardback edition that belongs on every book lover's bookshelf! I was swept away by Leigh's original folktales and fables--a collection to treasure.

Oh and and! Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor for the sumptuous writing, the incredible settings, and the unforgettable characters. I absolutely love this book.

LAST ONE, I PROMISE! Okay, last two. But they go together really well: Island at the End of Everything by Kiran Milwood Hargrave and The Explorer by Katherine Rundell for their depictions of children showing remarkable bravery in the face of adversity--and for being a celebration of the natural world.


***

Thanks so much for sharing your books of the year! I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I can't wait to read Sam Wu is NOT afraid of ghosts when it comes out in February!

Tomorrow, Chelle from Tales of Yesterday shares her favourite book of the year. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these books.... I know! I've been in a bit of a slump this year, but I really really want to read The Hate U Give... And Strange the Dreamer... And so many books that I really hope I get around to next year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! At least you have a good reading year ahead 😉

      Delete