Thursday 8 February 2018

Meet Cute short stories - review


Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers

Whether or not you believe in fate, or luck, or love at first sight, every romance has to start somewhere. MEET CUTE is an anthology of original short stories featuring tales of "how they first met" from some of today’s most popular YA authors. (Publisher's blurb)

This is one of the best collections of short stories that I've read for ages, and with the calibre of authors included I'm not surprised. I enjoyed some aspect of all of the stories and I thought there was a really good range of genres and subject matters covered. Most stories were contemporary but there were some with fantastical and sci-fi elements that I really enjoyed. 

My favourite stories were by Nina LaCour, Julie Murphy, Nicola Yoon and Dhonielle Clayton. I've just read and loved The Belles, but I need to get books by the other authors immediately!

Nina LaCour's is the story that really stayed with me. I wish there was a whole book with these characters! It's about two girls who meet through a customer service complaint. Their fledgling relationship was really heartwarming and I loved both characters.

Julie Murphy's story of a reality TV dating show was hilarious, unexpected and entertaining! The voice of her writing was great and I can't wait to read more of her books.

Nicola Yoon wrote an incredibly creative story about breaking up that reminded me a lot of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's rare that I come across a story so delightfully inventive and I really enjoyed it! 

I adored Dhonielle Clayton's writing in The Belles and her short story was incredibly moving and thought-provoking, achieving so much in so few words!

If you want a book that's sweet and uplifting, this is a perfect option.






  


No comments:

Post a Comment