Wednesday 28 March 2018

State of Sorrow by Melinda Salisbury - review


Publisher: Scholastic

Sorrow all but rules the Court of Tears, in a land gripped by perpetual grief, forever mourning her brother who died just days before Sorrow was born. By day she governs in place of her father, by night she seeks secret solace in the arms of the boy she's loved since childhood. But when her brother is seemingly found alive, and intent on taking control, Sorrow has to choose whether to step aside for a stranger who might not be who he claims to be, or embark on a power struggle for a position she never really wanted.


This was one of my most anticipated books of the year, and if possible it exceeded eve
ry one of my expectations.

Melinda Salisbury is one of my favourite authors, and I think her writing style is absolutely gorgeous! Like The Sin Eater's Daughter (which you should definitely read if you haven't already), State of Sorrow is full of sensory descriptions that suck you into the world. Every setting is richly described and immersive, and the writing has a dark fairy tale quality that I absolutely love.

The plot of this book is also gripping and well-paced. The political intrigue kept me hooked and it was great fun trying to work out whether the boy is really Sorrow's brother, and who would end up in power.

The characters in this book were brilliant too. Sorrow was my favourite because her responses to this situation were so authentic, and I felt like I understood her motivations. I also thought Luvian was a brilliant character, who had a very interesting arc and provided many opportunities for humour! I was a huge fan of the romance arc too - it was incredibly passionate and moving, without overpowering the plot.

This is a beautifully written, exciting story with brilliant characters. How am I supposed to wait for the next book?







If you liked the sound of this, you must read The Sin Eater's Daughter trilogy, also by Melinda Salisbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment